The best pumpkin bread recipe is made with simple ingredients like whole grain flour, uses maple syrup instead of sugar, and makes one delicious loaf!
This moist and flavorful homemade pumpkin bread makes an easy and delicious breakfast or after-school snack.
Afterall, there's nothing like scrambling to figure out what to feed kids for breakfast or snacks - it can be stressful! Keeping whole wheat quick bread on hand, like this pumpkin bread, can help lessen the craziness of trying to figure out what to feed kids when you are short on time.
And what kid will turn down something made with chocolate chips? You can easily leave them out, but my kids would advise you to keep them in!
Whay You'll Love This Recipe
Get ready for your home to fill with all of the favorite and familiar scents of Fall as this delicious pumpkin bread bakes in your oven. I knew I had the right proportions when my son said, "This is perfect. Don't change anything!". I hope your kids love this as much as mine do!
- High in fiber Fiber helps kids feel full longer and keeps things moving through the digestive tract.
- Sweetened with pure maple syrup instead of sugar.
- One bowl Less mess and fewer dirty dishes. You're welcome!
- This is made with olive oil instead of butter, so if you use dairy-free chocolate chips, this becomes a dairy-free pumpkin bread recipe.
- Pumpkin High in fiber and rich in vitamin A. Either canned pumpkin or homemade pumpkin puree can be used. Do not use pumpkin pie filling.
- White whole wheat flour White whole wheat flour is unbleached. It has the same nutritional value as whole wheat flour (excellent source of fiber and other nutrients like B vitamins, iron, folate, and selenium). Because of the variety of wheat used to make it, white whole wheat flour has a milder flavor, a lighter color, and a softer texture. I use King Arthur flour.
- Eggs Helps bind the bread together and give it a consistent texture. Eggs are a good source of protein.
- Maple syrup Use pure maple syrup for natural sweetness.
- Baking soda Used for leavening. Do not use baking powder in place of baking soda.
- Salt Helps activate the baking soda. If you leave the salt out, this bread may not rise well.
- Vanilla and spices Spices are what make this pumpkin bread as great as it is! I prefer to measure out the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Still, I'm sure you can use pumpkin pie spice instead.
- Chocolate chips Who needs cream cheese frosting on pumpkin bread when you can have chocolate chips? 😉 I've been trying to get my kids used to dark chocolate, so I've been using half semi-sweet and half dark chocolate chips. I buy my chocolate chips at Trader Joe's.
Here's a quick overview of the steps to make this moist and flavorful healthy pumpkin bread. For the full list of ingredients and specific instructions, scroll down to the recipe.
- Add wet ingredients to a medium bowl or large bowl and whisk well.
- Add all dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix just until all of the dry ingredients are incorporated. The batter will be lumpy.
- Optional: add chocolate chips and fold into the batter.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan. Sprinkle cinnamon on top. Use a knife to make zig-zag lines on the top to blend the cinnamon just a bit.
- Bake in the oven for one hour.
- Place on a wire rack to let cool before serving. Enoy!
- Use the 'scoop and sweep' method for measuring flour. To do this, use a spoon to fill the measuring cups and then use the flat side of a knife to even it out on top.
- Chocolate chips are optional, but highly recommended.
- Chopped walnuts or raisins can be used in addition to or in place of chocolate chips.
- It takes about an hour in the oven, so make this when you know you will be home for a little while.
- Some loaf pans do not require you to grease them first. For example: Pampered Chef stoneware loaf pan and the metal Loaf Pan by Le Creuset.
Questions You May Have
Yes! Let the pumpkin bread cool completely before freezing. You can freeze a whole loaf or individual slices. plastic wrap and
Wrap the whole loaf or individual slices with plastic wrap and place it in a freezer-safe bag before freezing.
Either all-purpose or whole wheat flour can be used but the texture and/or nutrition profile of the pumpkin bread will be different.
Pumpkin typically replaces oil or butter in baking. They all add moisture and substance to quick breads, which is why they can be used as substitutes.
First, it helps to start with a moist pumpkin bread like this one. The key to keeping it from drying out is to keep as much air our as possible.
Once cooled, keep the pumpkin bread wrapped in saran wrap or plastic wrap.
More Easy Breakfast Recipes
Did you love this pumpkin bread recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating below or a review in the comments section.
Don't forget to snap a pic of your delicious pumpkin bread and tag @carrots.and.cookies on Instagram so I can see it!
This recipe is an adapted version of COOKIE+kate's Healthy Pumpkin Bread recipe.
The Best Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1¾ cup white whole wheat flour I use King Arthur flour
- ½ cup maple syrup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup olive oil extra virgin
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips semi-sweet, dark chocolate, or some of each
- Preheat oven to 325° Fahrenheit.
- Place all wet ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and whisk well.1 cup pumpkin, ½ cup maple syrup, ¼ cup olive oil, ⅓ cup water, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Add baking soda, salt, and spices. Stir.1 teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground ginger, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon cloves, ½ teaspoon salt
- Add flour and stir until just incorporated. The batter will be lumpy.1¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- Fold in chocolate chips, if using.½ cup chocolate chips
- Bake in the oven at 325°F for one hour. This bread may need an additional five minutes in the oven. It is done when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool before slicing to serve.