Delicious apple dessert made with wholesome ingredients from scratch. See how easy this healthy apple crumble recipe (with pear) is to make. It's a kid favorite!
About this recipe
Nothing says Fall like a freshly baked apple dessert with a nice crumb topping and it's the perfect dessert to make around the holidays because it is pretty, naturally sweetened, and absolutely delicious.
- This healthy apple crumble is made from scratch, using fresh apples, fresh pears, a few cranberries, and a healthy crumb topping.
- This is a vegan recipe, which means it's made without any animal products.
- Dairy-free and soy-free, so even kids with an allergy or intolerance to milk and/or soy can enjoy it!
- Can be made with any kind of apple.
- Keeping the apple and pear pieces small (bite-sized) reduces the baking time and makes it easier to eat for kids.
- Apples High in fiber, vitamin C, and potassium.
- Bartlett Pears High in fiber and vitamin C. According to the California Pears, Bartlett pears are considered the sweetest, juiciest, and most flavorful pear.
- Lemon juice Added for flavor.
- Maple Syrup Natural sweetness.
- Oats Oats are an excellent source of soluble fiber, insoluble fiber, phosphorus, thiamine, magnesium, and zinc.
- Walnuts Walnuts are the only nut significantly high in omega-3 ALA, according to California Walnuts. Walnuts are also a good source of protein, fiber, and magnesium.
- White whole wheat flour Unbleached and whole grain. Need I say more? haha!
- Cinnamon and Nutmeg Added for flavor.
- Salt Added for flavor.
- Olive Oil Olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fats and is full of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Cranberries Optional. Added for color and to balance out the flavor.
- Wash and cut fruit. Leave the skins on and cut apples and pears up into small, bite sized pieces.
- Make crumb topping in a small bowl.
- Mix together fruit and spices.
- Assemble apple-pear crumble. Spread fruit and spice mixture out evenly to cover the bottom of the baking dish. Then, top with crumb mixture.
- Bake in a 375 degree Fahrenheit oven for 25 minutes.
Top this healthy apple crumble with yogurt or a small scoop of ice cream. The fruit crisp is delicious on its own, so adding yogurt or ice cream is completely optional.
Expert tips and FAQs
- Leave the skins on the apples and pears for added nutrients and for excellent texture. By cutting up the apple and pear into small pieces, when cooked, the skins won't be noticeable.
- If your kids don't like foods that are 'tart' (like cranberries), consider adding only a few cranberries the first time you make this and encourage them to try it.
- Kids love this when served as dessert!
- This apple crumble also makes a healthy and delicious breakfast or after school snack!
According to have a plant, all you need to do is simply apply pressure to the neck of the pear with your thumb. If it yields to pressure, it's ripe.
Use what you have. Any apple will work in this recipe! Because the cranberries add a touch of tartness, I suggest sticking with sweeter apples, like Gala.
Healthy Apple Crumble Recipe (with Pear)
- 1 Baking dish 8x8 or 9x9 inch
- 3 apples washed, cored, and chopped into bite-sized pieces (about 4 cups)
- 2 pears washed, cored, and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- ¼ cup cranberries optional
- ¾ cup oats old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour I used King Arthur brand
- 1 lemon juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoon walnuts finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon divided
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Mix together apple and pear pieces, cranberries, lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Spread on the bottom of a 8x8 baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, mix together oats, walnuts, flour, salt, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, olive oil, and maple syrup.
- Spread oat mixture out evenly over the apple mixture.
- Bake in a 375°F oven for 35 minutes.
- Serve warm. Enjoy!