This simple granola recipe is too good to be true! It calls for easy to find ingredients, it's easy to make, you don't have to stir it (or do anything for that matter) during the baking process and, well, it is absolutely delicious!!
It's so good that I often gift it! In fact, I just made a batch for this exact purpose! You've got to try it!
A few years ago an unexpected package arrived. It was a copy of the True Roots cookbook. I had never heard of it and I had no idea who gifted it!
Although I am not all about eliminating gluten, dairy, etc (unless medically necessary), I have enjoyed some of the recipes. This recipe is one that I adapted from it. Enjoy!
Did I leave you hanging? I thought it was my aunt who gifted me the cookbook, but it turns out it was my younger sister. Fun surprise!
Granola typically consists of rolled oats, nuts, honey or other sweeteners, oil, and sometimes, dried fruit. Granola is served with breakfast or as a snack.
- Oats Use Rolled Oats. Oats are a whole grain and are an excellent source of soluble fiber, insoluble fiber, phosphorus, thiamine, magnesium, and zinc. The American Heart Association recommends eating at least three servings of fiber-rich whole grains daily. This is one easy way to get some in!
- Raw Almonds Almonds add crunch and health benefits to this granola. Almonds contain fiber, omega-3 and monounsaturated fats, protein, Vitamin E, Manganese, Magnesium, and more.
- Hemp Hearts Hemp hearts are a source of Omega-3 fatty acids and protein. They also contain fiber, potassium, and iron.
- Coconut Chips For flavor and texture. Unsweetened coconut chips add a very mild coconut flavor - it's perfect for those that love coconut and those that could do without it. So good!
- Cinnamon For flavor
- Honey Used for crunch and natural sweetness.
- Olive Oil Olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fats and is full of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties
Steps to make this simple granola recipe
Here’s a quick overview of the steps to make this granola. For the full list of ingredients and instructions, scroll down to the recipe.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Spread out evenly over a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Press down on granola with the palm of your hand to flatten the granola.
- Bake in a preheated oven.
- Let cool completely before breaking it into pieces.
Notes and tips
- Use Old-Fashioned oats, also known as Rolled Oats. Do not use 'Quick-Cooking' or 'Steel-Cut' oats for this recipe.
- Old Fashioned Rolled oats are easy to find and are inexpensive (especially when purchased in bulk).
- Do not spend the extra money on "Gluten-Free Oats", unless you have been guided to do so my a credentialed healthcare provider. As stated by Beyond Celiac, "oats are naturally gluten-free but they easily come in contact with gluten-containing grains, making them unsafe for people with celiac disease."
- Chopped almonds add a nice crunch to this easy granola recipe! A good quality food chopper works wonderfully to get them to the perfect size in no time! Chop them, but not too fine.
- Labels can be confusing. Hemp hearts, shelled hemp seeds, and hulled hemp seeds are one and the same. When the outer shell has been removed, you are left with the softer, chewier inner seed.
- Coconut Chips are sometimes called Coconut Shavings
Uses for Granola
- An easy, simple and healthy snack
- Fruit and yogurt parfait
- Topping for a smoothie bowl
- Trail mix
- Fruit crisp
- Add it to smoothies
- Gift it!
- 2 ½ cups rolled oats
- ⅔ cup raw almonds chopped
- ¼ cup hemp hearts
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup unsweetened coconut chips
- Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper*
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the oats, chopped almonds, hemp hearts, cinnamon, and unsweetened coconut chips
- Add olive oil and honey to the oat mixture and mix well
- Spread granola mixture out evenly over the rimmed baking sheet and press down using the palm of your hand or the backside of a spatula so the mixture is firmly packed
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes
- Remove from oven and let cool completely
- Once completely cooled, break granola apart and store it in an airtight container