This super easy salsa verde chicken enchilada recipe is the BEST - it's loaded with veggies, packed with protein, made with plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, and loaded with flavor. Your whole family will love it!
Serve it with a grain like rice or farro, and/or make my guacamole recipe to serve with chips! It's so easy and so good!
About This recipe
This is the perfect meal Tex-Mex style meal because it is healthy and it's so easy to make. The salsa verde in the sauce adds a fun and unique twist to the flavor that kids will love!
- This healthy enchilada bake is made with cooked chicken, corn tortillas, a mixture of vegetables, cheese, and a delicious sauce made by combining salsa Verde and Greek yogurt.
- Made with plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
- To make this meal vegetarian, use black beans in place of cooked chicken.
- Chicken Either make your own chicken to shred (this can be done using just chicken and water, in a pan on the stovetop) or used left-over rotisserie style or fajita chicken to chop up or shred. Mildly seasoned grilled chicken also works well in this recipe!
- Vegetables Use what you have or explore the produce aisle. I prefer to use vegetables that have been cooked well, so that the texture blends in nicely with chicken and cheese. For example, cook broccoli or carrots longer in order to soften them to a desirable consistency. Here's my 'go to': sautéed bell pepper (exceptionally high in Vitamin C), mushrooms (contains vitamin D), onion (for flavor), and spinach (high in vitamin A, vitamin K, Folate, Iron, magnesium and more) to use in this recipe.
- Tortillas I prefer corn tortillas in this recipe. They are whole grain and the perfect size for this enchilada bake.
- Cheese Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (or a blend of the two) work best in this recipe.
- Yogurt Use plain Greek yogurt to make the sauce. Traditional yogurt will cause the sauce to be extremely runny. Greek yogurt is thicker and adds some extra protein!
- Salsa Verde Use mild salsa verde. Salsa verde is green and is commonly made using tomatillos, onion, garlic, cilantro, and hot peppers. If your kids like spicy food, you can try making this with 'medium' salsa Verde, instead of mild.
Here is a quick overview of the steps to make this dish. For a full list of ingredients and instructions, scroll down to the recipe.
- Lay four of the corn tortillas in the bottom of a 9x9 baking dish to form the bottom later. There will be slight overlap.
- In a medium bowl, mix chicken, cooked vegetables, and some of the cheese together. Spread this mixture out evenly over the bottom layer of tortillas.
- Lay the remaining four corn tortillas out over the mixture, forming the top layer.
- In a small bowl, mix together the salsa verde and Greek yogurt to make the sauce. Pour sauce over the top of the tortillas, being sure to cover the entire top layer.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese out evenly on top of the sauce.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Expert Tips and FAQs
- I recommend using diced and sautéed bell peppers, mushrooms, onion, and cooked spinach as the cooked vegetables in this recipe because they soften easily and provide a variety of nutrients.
- Use mild salsa verde. Medium salsa verde is too spicy for most kids. I use Trader Joe's brand that comes in a jar.
- Use salsa verde that comes in the salsa section of the grocery store, not the salsa verde enchilada sauce packets.
When I originally posted this recipe, I said either flour or corn tortillas can be used. However, after feedback from friends who tried this recipe with flour tortillas, I made it again myself and it turned out so soggy. If your kids don't mind a soggy enchilada, then definitely use flour tortillas! I just don't recommend it.
I suggest assembling this casserole the day of. The chicken and vegetables can be cooked ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator (hello, meal prep!). Cheese can also be grated ahead of time.
Rice, quinoa, or faro make excellent sides because they balance out the flavor and add a fun texture. Tortilla chips, guacamole also make easy and delicious sides. And if your kids are really hungry, you can serve it along with a bean and rice casserole.
Did you try this Salsa Verde Enchilada Bake? Tell me how it went! Leave a comment below.
Follow me on Pinterest for more healthy, kid-friendly recipes and meal inspiration!
Salsa Verde Chicken Enchilada Bake
- 2 cups of cooked vegetables. If there is any excess moisture use a mesh strainer to press the water out.
- 2 cups of cooked chicken chopped or shredded
- 12 ounce salsa verde mild
- 1 cup cheese, grated separated (cheddar or Colby Jack cheeses work well)
- ⅔ cup plain greek yogurt 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 8 corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cooked vegetables, chicken, and ¼ cup of cheese.
- Lay 4 corn tortillas in the bottom of a 9x9 baking dish so they cover the bottom, forming the bottom layer.
- Spread the chicken, vegetable, and cheese mixture over the tortillas.
- Lay the other 4 corn tortillas over the chicken and vegetable mixture so they create a top layer. Again, there will be some overlap in the middle.
- Mix the salsa verde with greek yogurt until combined, making the enchilada sauce. Pour sauce out evenly over the top of the tortillas. Some will go down the sides - that's what you want!
- Finish by sprinkling the remaining ¾ cup of cheese over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Let sit at least 5 minutes before serving