This homemade gluten free taco seasoning for kids has the traditional and addictive taco flavors that kids love without much spice. It's so versatile and your kids will love it!
Whether you have a child that has to follow a gluten free diet (per a doctor's instruction) or not, this taco seasoning is for you!
This taco seasoning is perfect for making turkey tacos, taco salads, and more. Make this homemade gluten-free taco seasoning mix once and you will have 'Taco Tuesday' set for weeks!
Why This Recipe is so Great
- This is the best 'do it yourself' taco seasoning mix recipe. In fact, it's easy enough that your kids can measure out the ingredients and make this seasoning themselves!
- No added sugar, unlike many store-bought taco seasonings.
- Easy gluten-free recipe.
- This is made with traditional taco flavors that kids like: garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin.
- Made using Tajin which gives the flavor a slight tropical twist.
- Tajin's FAQ page states that their products "do not contain gluten. In fact, TAJIN® meets FDA regulations for 'gluten free' products." For more information on the FDA's regulation of 'Gluten-Free" claims, please refer to their website.
- For kids who like spice, red pepper flakes can be added to give this taco seasoning some heat.
Many kids dislike foods that are heavily seasoned. If you can relate to this, either remove a portion of the cooked meat before you add the seasoning and set it aside for whoever really dislikes seasoned meat or just use a very small amount of seasoning. You can always serve hot sauce as a side for those who like more seasoning.
Save time and money: this homemade taco seasoning makes a perfect gift for teachers, family, and friends. Simply layer all of the ingredients in a small glass jar (similar to what you see in the image in the step-by-step section of this recipe) and put a small, personalized label on it telling them what it is with a few ideas of how they can use it.
- Tajin A delicious tropical spice made from ground chili peppers, sea salt, and dehydrated lime juice. I was first introduced to this in Costa Rica and can now find it in Aldi!
- Chili Powder For traditional taco flavor.
- Garlic Powder Because garlic makes everything taste better, ha!
- Paprika A brightly colored (red) spice. This recipe calls for regular paprika but for a more smokey flavor, try using smoked paprika instead.
- Dried Oregano A versatile herb that adds nice flavor to a variety of dishes (including Tex-Mex and Italian).
- Cumin Some refer to cumin as a spice while others call it an herb. Call it what you want, haha!
- Salt Use either sea salt or iodized table salt. Sea salt contains more minerals than table salt, but offers the same amount of sodium. For more information on the differences between sea salt and table salt, check out this article from the Cleveland Clinic website.
Steps To Make This Incredible Taco Seasoning
Here’s a quick overview of the steps to make this easy taco seasoning. For the full list of ingredients and instructions, scroll down to the recipe
- Measure all ingredients and put them in a small jar or other airtight container. Mix them up and store in a cool dry cabinet. That's it!
- If your kids don't like foods that are heavily seasoned, start by using just a small amount. Get their feedback and adjust as needed the next time you make it.
- Tajin is becoming more popular and easier to find in grocery stores. Aldi even carries it.
- If you don't have Tajin, you can substitute an equal amount of chili powder.
- For the kiddos who need to follow a strict gluten free diet (as guided by a doctor), be sure to purchase spices that do not contain gluten. Check the product label to be safe. If the "gluten-free" claim is not on a label, you may need to check the company website or call customer service to verify. For more information, check out this article written by a dietitian, Are Spices Safe for a Gluten-Free Diet. Cross contamination is real, so don't be afraid to ask questions.
What to Make Using Taco Seasoning
We are a huge taco family! Here are some ideas for meals that you can make using this taco seasoning blend in 30 minutes or less!
- Tacos Of course! Taco meat can be made with lean ground beef or turkey, textured vegetable protein, a mixture of lentils and walnuts, or black beans and sweet potatoes. Chicken tacos and fish tacos are always a big hit, too! Get creative!
- Taco Salad My kids love taking all of their favorite taco ingredients and turning it into a delicious salad! Often times there is enough flavor and moisture added from the toppings that you don't need a dressing.
- Chicken fajitas Typically made with roasted bell pepper, onion, garlic, and lime. You can make these sheet pan style or cook the chicken separate from the vegetables.
- Nachos Made with tortilla chips and cheese as the base. Can add black beans or chicken and a sprinkle of taco seasoning to change it up.
- Homemade tortilla chips You can dust just a little bit of this taco seasoning on to corn tortillas and air fry them to make flavorful tortilla chips.
More Tex-Mex Inspired Recipes
Did your kids love this incredible taco seasoning? Please leave a 5-star rating below or a review in the comments section!
Don't forget to snap a pic of their taco or burrito bowl and tag @carrots.and.cookies on Instagram so I can see it. Enjoy!
Absolutely. The only difference that I am aware of is that fajita seasoning usually contains onion powder. If you are using onions in your recipe, you likely won't be able to tell the difference. If this concerns you, simply, sprinkle a small amount of onion powder in when you add this taco seasoning when making fajitas.
The first time you make your own taco meat, I suggest adding 1-2 tablespoons of taco seasoning per pound of meat or meat substitute. The amount you add will depend on how much your kids like seasoned food. For kids just getting used to seasoned meat, start by adding less taco seasoning and adjust according to your family's preference the next time you make it.
Store taco seasoning in an airtight container. You can reuse a small used jelly jar that has been washed or buy a small mason jar with a lid to store it in.
Gluten-Free Taco Seasoning For Kids
- 3 tablespoon Tajin
- 3 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Mix all ingredients together in a small jar.
- Store in an airtight container.
jason D tamvakis
love this taco seasoning! the tajin makes it!
100% Tajin for the win!
Tajin adds such a nice twist-my kids loved it!!
I'm so glad! My son has been adding Tajin to everything lately, haha!
so easy and delicious!!