This homemade chocolate chip cookie bar recipe is just perfect because it contains all of the familiar tastes kids would expect from a cookie, like butter, sugar, and chocolate chips (just less of them) AND they are made with white whole wheat flour!
Kids absolutely love these!
Plus, these cookie bars are super easy to make and cleanup is a breeze!
Yes, I am a dietitian and I 'let' my kids eat cookies!
About these cookie bars
These chocolate chip cookie bars are the perfect answer to making healthier great tasting cookies in less time and with less mess!
- Made with less sugar, less butter, and fewer chocolate chips than traditional recipes. This means fewer grams of added sugar and less saturated fat.
- The fiber from white whole wheat flour in these delicious chocolate chip cookie bars will help your kids feel full longer.
- No need to spoon individual balls of cookie dough as with 'regular' cookies.
- Once cooled, you simply slice into squares and serve.
- Cookie bars pair nicely with a glass of milk or a scoop of ice cream. They also make an a nice addition to school lunches!
- White whole wheat flour Lighter in color and texture than traditional whole wheat flour. White whole wheat flour is unbleached and has the same nutritional value as whole wheat flour. I use King Arthur brand.
- All purpose flour Added to maintain the familiar texture of cookie bars that kids love.
- Granulated sugar Added for flavor and texture.
- Brown sugar Added for flavor and texture.
- Butter This recipe calls for less butter than traditional cookie recipes. Butter helps with the structure of the cookie bar.
- Chocolate chips Because kids love them!
- Egg High quality protein. Contributes to structure.
- Vanilla Added for flavor.
- Baking Soda Added for leavening.
- Salt Helps activate baking soda for leavening. Salt also contributes flavor.
Steps to make these cookie bars
Here’s a quick overview of the steps to make these chocolate chip cookie bars. For the full list of ingredients and instructions, scroll down to the recipe.
- Using a stand mixer, simply cream together butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla.
- While butter, sugars, and vanilla are mixing, measure flours, baking soda, and salt. Place in a separate bowl. Set aside.
- Add eggs to the creamed mixture.
- Add dry ingredients.
- Using a spoon or small spatula, stir in chocolate chips.
- Place cookie dough on a large lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 16-17 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
notes and tips
- Using parchment paper to line the rimmed baking sheet makes clean-up super easy.
- Use the palm of your hand to spread out the cookie dough.
- When spreading out the cookie dough, leave a small amount of space on all sides (to allow for expansion).
The BEST Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Stand or hand mixer¼
- 1 ¼ cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour see notes section for option to substitute some of this with oat flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ⅔ cup brown sugar packed
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter at room temperature (see notes below)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 6 ounces chocolate chips ½ of a standard size package
- Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper
- Using a stand mixer, cream together softened butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla
- While this is mixing, combine flours, salt, and baking soda in a separate bowl and set aside
- To the creamed mixture, add eggs and beat
- Add dry ingredients and mix well
- Stir in chocolate chips using a spoon or small spatula
- Spread mixture out evenly on a lined rimmed baking sheet
- Bake for 16-17 minutes, until the edges are slightly golden and a toothpick comes out clean
- Let cool, cut into squares, and enjoy!