This quick and easy, delicious chocolate chip cookie bar recipe is made with whole wheat flour, less butter and less sugar. Your kids will never know!
Yes, I am a dietitian and I 'let' my kids eat cookies 🙂 While I love everything about veggies, there's also something pretty fantastic about chocolate. Can you relate?
Once I nailed down this recipe, I pretty much stopped making traditional cookies simply because they take so much time. In fact, this recipe is so easy that you may just find yourself making them on repeat. Sorry, not sorry:)
Oh, and if your family loves chocolate chip everything as much as mine, check out my Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffin and no-bake energy bites recipes. Just a heads up, though - you'll want to double batch them all because they are just that good.
As for another very similar recipe but made without chocolate (shocker, I know ;), my Raspberry and White Chocolate Blondies have received rave reviews. Let me know if you make them!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
These chocolate chip cookie bars are the perfect answer to making more wholesome, great tasting cookies in less time and with less mess!
- Easy recipe. No need to spoon individual balls of cookie dough as with 'regular' cookies.
- Easy cleanup.
- Made with less sugar, less butter, and fewer chocolate chips than traditional recipes. This means fewer grams of added sugar and less saturated fat.
- The fiber from white whole wheat flour in these cookie bars will help your kids feel full longer.
- Convenient 'sweet' addition to school lunches.
- White whole wheat flour Lighter in color and texture than traditional whole wheat flour. White whole wheat flour is unbleached and has the same nutritional value as whole wheat flour. I use King Arthur brand.
- All-purpose flour Added to maintain the familiar texture of cookie bars that kids love.
- Butter Use unsalted butter. This recipe calls for less butter than traditional cookie recipes. Butter helps with the structure of the cookie bar.
- Chocolate chips Because kids love them!
- Egg High quality protein. Contributes to structure.
- Baking Soda For leavening.
- Salt Helps activate baking soda for leavening, so don't leave it out. Salt also adds to the familiar flavor of a chocolate chip cookie.
Here’s a quick overview of the steps to make these chocolate chip cookie bars. For the full list of ingredients and instructions, scroll down to the recipe.
- Using a stand mixer, simply cream together butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla.
- While butter, sugars, and vanilla are mixing, measure flours, baking soda, and salt. Place in a separate bowl. Set aside.
- Add eggs to the creamed mixture.
- Add dry ingredients.
- Using a spoon or small spatula, stir in chocolate chips.
- Place cookie dough on a large lined rimmed bar pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 16-17 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Using parchment paper to line the rimmed bar pan makes clean-up super easy.
- Use the palm of your hand to spread out the cookie dough.
- When spreading out the cookie dough, leave a small amount of space on all sides (to allow for expansion).
Yes, they can be stored in the freezer. Once cooled completely, they can be stored in a freezer-safe container or re-sealable plastic bag and placed in the freezer. I suggest placing a piece of parchment paper in between the cookie bars to keep them from sticking together. Once defrosted, they won't be as soft as when freshly baked but they will still taste great!
Use what you have or what your kids love! I always keep semi-sweet and dark chocolate chips on hand. My kids prefer semi-sweet, of course!
More Easy Dessert Recipes
Did your kids love these incredible cookie bars? Please leave a 5-star rating below or a review in the comments section!
Don't forget to snap a pic of their cookie bars and tag @carrots.and.cookies on Instagram so I can see it. Enjoy!
The BEST Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Stand or hand mixer
- 1 ¼ cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour see notes section for option to substitute some of this with oat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅔ cup brown sugar packed
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter at room temperature (see notes below)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 6 ounces chocolate chips ½ of a standard size package
- Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper
- Using a stand mixer, cream together softened butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla
- While this is mixing, combine flours, salt, and baking soda in a separate bowl and set aside
- To the creamed mixture, add eggs and beat
- Add dry ingredients and mix well
- Stir in chocolate chips using a spoon or small spatula
- Spread mixture out evenly on a lined rimmed baking sheet
- Bake for 16-17 minutes, until the edges are slightly golden and a toothpick comes out clean
- Let cool, cut into squares, and enjoy!