This healthy baked oatmeal recipe is simply the best! It is packed with 'good for you' ingredients and it's easy to prepare. It won't be long before you are doubling this recipe!
Unlike most traditional breakfast foods, this baked oatmeal is high in fiber. The fiber content (from oats, bananas, and strawberries) combined with the protein from egg and milk will help your kids feel full longer, and lessen those frequent requests for snacks!
I often double up on this recipe so that we have enough for leftovers. Simply reheat this healthy baked oatmeal the microwave when you are ready to serve it again! You can also put it in a thermos for lunch on the go! Hello, time-savings!
Why This Recipe is so Great
Make busy mornings easier by having this healthy and filling baked oatmeal on hand.
- Easy recipe that even your older kids can make.
- Can be made the night before and reheated for a quick breakfast the next morning.
- High in fiber and it contains protein which will help your kids feel full longer.
- Kids even love having this baked oatmeal for lunch. It can be heated in the morning and placed in a thermos so it stays warm until lunch time.
- Oats are a whole grain. The American Heart Association recommends that at least half of the grains you eat are whole grains.
- Strawberries Delicious and nutritious! These pretty, heart-shaped berries are high in vitamin C, antioxidants, vitamins, manganese, folate, fiber, and more.
- Bananas High in fiber and potassium. Bananas provide natural sweetness to recipes - especially over-ripe bananas.
- Oats Excellent source of soluble fiber, insoluble fiber, phosphorus, thiamine, magnesium, and zinc.
- Milk Good source of protein and calcium. Milk adds moisture to soften the oats and helps give this baked oatmeal a smooth texture.
- Egg Good source of protein. Egg helps with the structure of this oatmeal.
- Maple syrup Use pure maple syrup. It adds a touch of sweetness that kids love.
Here's a quick overview of the steps to make this easy and delicious baked oatmeal for kids. For the full list of ingredients and specific instructions, scroll down to the recipe.
- Rinse strawberries under running water and remove the stems before slicing.
- Spread the strawberry pieces out in a single layer on the bottom of a greased baking dish.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mash the bananas with a potato or meat masher.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Pour mixture evenly out over the layer of strawberries.
- Bake in the oven and enjoy!
- Rinse strawberries well under running water.
- If using frozen bananas for this recipe, be sure to defrost them first. Either set them in the fridge to defrost overnight or put them in the microwave for a few seconds to defrost.
- Brown sugar can be used instead of maple syrup.
- If your bananas are browning and you aren't able to use them right away, peel them and stick the peeled bananas in a resealable plastic bag before placing them in the freezer. It's a perfect way to minimize waste!
- If you have the opportunity to pick your own strawberries, do it! And, if you can you bring your kids along to help pick, that's even better!
Let this Strawberry-Banana Bake Oatmeal sit for at least five minutes before serving. Then, add a splash of milk to the individual servings of baked oatmeal to help it cool down and to smooth out the consistency.
You can substitute blueberries or blackberries in place of strawberries and it will still be healthy and delicious.
No, not unless you have been instructed to do so by a credentialed healthcare provider.
More Delicious Breakfast Recipes That Kids Love
Did your kids love this baked oatmeal recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating below or a review in the comments section!
Don't forget to snap a pic of their strawberry banana baked oatmeal and tag @carrots.and.cookies on Instagram so I can see it. Enjoy!
Strawberry-Banana Baked Oatmeal
- 2 ½ cups rolled oats
- 1 cup milk I use skim milk.
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 2 bananas, small and overripe about ¾ - 1 cup, mashed
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup* pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 1 teaspoon baking powder aluminum-free
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit
- Lightly oil an 8x8 baking dish
- Spread strawberry pieces out to cover the bottom of the baking dish
- Mix the rest of the ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl
- Pour mixture into the baking dish, covering the layer of strawberries
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes. Let cool slightly. Serve and enjoy!