This Kale Chip recipe made in the air fryer creates a kid-favorite, nutritious snack that will be ready in just 5 minutes! Simply season, air fry, and they're done! Store them in an air-tight container and they'll last for days!
I've been making kale chips in the oven for years and they have always been a hit with all of my kids (that's a miracle in and of itself, haha!)!
Your kids may be skeptical at first... but, trust me! Once they take a bite, they'll be hooked!
Now that I have an air fryer, I make kale chips more often because there is no need to preheat my oven and cooking time is reduced big time.
- Kale Use curly kale, not dinosaur/Tuscan kale. Kale is high in fiber, vitamins A, K, and C. It also contains vitamin B6, calcium, potassium, copper, and manganese.
- Olive oil Use extra virgin olive oil. Avocado oil can be used as a substitute, if needed.
- Salt Use what you have. I like to use pink Himalayan Sea salt because I can use less of it and get the same delicious salty flavor that everyone loves.
How to Air Fry Kale Chips
Here’s a quick overview of the steps to make these air fried kale chips. For the full list of ingredients and instructions, scroll down to the recipe.
- Wash and drain kale well. I use a colander to let kale drain.
- Remove the thick rib from the center of each kale piece. Tear kale into pieces, approximately 2 inches wide (think the size of a regular chip and remember, they will shrink).
- Lay kale pieces out evenly in a single layer.
- Lightly coat the kale with a very small amount of oil. Use a basting brush or oil sprayer for this step.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Air fry for about 5 minutes. If your air fryer is pre-heated, check on them after 4 minutes.
Tip #1 A simple recipe like this is a great way to introduce your kids to cooking. Younger kids can help make these kale chips by tearing the kale into pieces, while many older kids can help by doing it all!
Tip #2 Consider your wording when introducing your kids to a new food like kale chips. A phrase like, "I tried a new recipe and I'm really curious what you think about it!" will be much more effective with kids than saying something like, "I know you don't like green foods, but you should try them anyway".
- The kale pieces will shrink in size when they turn into chips. This is to be expected.
- Overcooking them will cause them to taste burnt and crumble easily, so keep a close eye on them after about 4 minutes.
- If you have an air fryer that causes pieces to blow around, cover them with another air fryer rack.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for how to properly and safely use your air fryer. If it requires you to preheat the air fryer, simply cut back on the cooking time by 1-2 minutes.
- Do not overdo it with oil. Using too much oil will cause the kale chips to become soggy.
- Do not overlap the kale pieces - keep them in a single layer and cook in batches if needed.
- I use a Cuisinart Digital AirFryer Toaster Oven. Different air fryers might require small adjustments in temperature and/or cook time.
Let the kale chips cool completely before storing. Once cooled, they will stay crispy when stored in an air-tight container.
Using too much oil will cause kale chips to be chewy. Kale chips only require a very small amount of oil. If this is not the case, then you may not have cooked them long enough to crisp up.
Once completely cooled, kale chips can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container. They will stay crispy and ready to eat for up to a week!
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
Be sure to comment below to share your feedback. And don't forget to snap a pic of these tasty kid-favorite kale chips and tag @carrots.and.cookies on Instagram. Enjoy!
Kale Chips (Air Fryer)
- 2 cups kale Curly kale.
- ½ teaspoon olive oil Extra virgin. Avocado oil can be used instead, if needed.
- ¼ teaspoon salt Preferably coarse sea salt, but any salt will do.
- Remove the thick inner rib from each kale leaf.
- Tear kale into pieces.
- Place kale pieces in a single layer in an air fryer basket fit for your air fryer.
- Lightly coat each piece with oil.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Air fry at 325° for 5 minutes. If your air fryer is pre-heated, check on them after 3-4 minutes.
- Let cool. Enjoy!