Kale chips are a kid-favorite snack and are ready in just five minutes! Plus there is no need to completely dry or massage the kale in this recipe - simply season, air fry, and they're done!
I've been making kale chips in the oven for years and they have always been a hit with all of my kids (that's a miracle in and of itself, haha!)!
Your kids may be skeptical at first... but, trust me! Once they take a bite, they'll be hooked!
Now that I have an air fryer, I make kale chips more often because there is no need to preheat my oven and cooking time is reduced big time.
About this recipe
These crispy kale chips will be gone in no time! Just be sure to have your kids eat these over a plate or counter because they do get crumbly when hands start grabbing for them!
- Crispy and salty, just as kids would expect from a 'chip'!
- Let your kids get in on the action by having them tear the kale into pieces.
- Ready in only five minutes.
- No need to preheat the air fryer, at least not the one that I use.
- No need to massage or completely dry the kale - who has time for this anyway?!
- Although seasonings (like garlic powder or nutritional yeast) can be used, it's really not necessary. I'm all about keeping things simple and kids prefer it this way!
- Kale pieces shrink up a lot when turned into a chip.
- I use the Cuisinart Digital Air Fryer because it works as a toaster, oven, and air fryer. Love it!
- Kale Use curly kale, not dinosaur/Tuscan kale. Kale is high in fiber, vitamins A, K, and C. It also contains vitamin B6, calcium, potassium, copper, and manganese. So good for you!
- Olive oil Use extra virgin olive oil. Avocado oil can be used as a substitute, if needed.
- Salt Use what you have. I like to use pink Himalayan sea salt because I can use less of it and get the same delicious salty flavor that everyone loves.
Here’s a quick overview of the steps to make these air fried kale chips. For the full list of ingredients and instructions, scroll down to the recipe.
- Wash and drain kale well. I use a colander to let kale drain.
- Remove the thick rib from the center of each kale piece. Tear kale into pieces, approximately 2 inches wide (think the size of a regular chip and remember, they will shrink).
- Lay kale pieces out evenly in a single layer.
- Use a basting brush or oil sprayer to lightly coat the kale.
- Sprinkle kale with salt.
- Air fry for about 5 minutes. If your air fryer is pre-heated, check on them after 4 minutes.
Expert Tips and FAQs
- The kale pieces will shrink in size when they turn into chips. This is to be expected.
- Overcooking them will cause them to taste burnt and crumble easily, so keep a close eye on them after about 4 minutes.
- If you have an air fryer that causes pieces to blow around, cover them with another air fryer rack.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for how to properly and safely use your air fryer. If it requires you to preheat the air fryer, simply cut back on the cooking time by 1-2 minutes.
- Using too much oil will cause the kale chips to become soggy.
- Do not overlap the kale pieces - keep them in a single layer and cook in batches if needed.
- I use a Cuisinart Digital AirFryer Toaster Oven. Different air fryers might require small adjustments in temperature and/or cook time.
Let the kale chips cool completely before storing. Once cooled, they will stay crispy when stored in an air-tight container.
Using too much oil will cause kale chips to be chewy. Kale chips only require a very small amount of oil. If this is not the case, then you may not have cooked them long enough to crisp up.
Kale Chips (Air Fryer)
- Air Fryer
- 2 cups kale Curly kale.
- ½ tsp olive oil Extra virgin. Avocado oil can be used instead, if needed.
- ¼ tsp salt Preferably coarse sea salt, but any salt will do.
- Remove the thick inner rib from each kale leaf.
- Tear kale into pieces.
- Place kale pieces in a single layer in an air fryer basket fit for your air fryer.
- Lightly coat each piece with oil.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Air fry at 325° for 5 minutes. If your air fryer is pre-heated, check on them after 3-4 minutes.
- Let cool. Enjoy!