Your kids will love these perfectly roasted restaurant style Brussel sprouts with balsamic!
These roasted Brussel sprouts are made in the oven with just three ingredients (plus salt & pepper), and are ready in no time! And, cleanup is a breeze!
You may just want to make a ton because leftover Brussel sprouts can easily be used in omelets, egg scrambles, as a topping on salads or even as a topping for nachos! Try it!
I know, I know... there are a lot of skeptics out there. I once was one, haha! Trust me, these are so absolutely delicious!
- Brussel Sprouts Brussel sprouts are rich in vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, carotenoids, and fiber
- Olive oil I use extra virgin olive oil because it contains omega-3 fats and has a pleasant flavor.
- Salt & Pepper Added for flavor
- Balsamic vinegar Added for flavor and texture. Adding a splash of balsamic vinegar when the brussel spouts are right out of the oven, allows the brussel sprouts to caramelize and form a nice crispy edge. Plus, it adds a touch of sweetness that kids love.
how to make Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Prepping Brussel sprouts correctly and cooking them on high heat will allow them to be ready in no time!
Here’s a overview of the steps to make this soup. For the full list of ingredients and instructions, scroll down to the recipe.
Step 1 using a good quality sharp knife, cut the small rough ends off of the bottom of each Brussel sprout.
Step 2 Cut each Brussel sprout in half, lengthwise. This helps reduce the roasting time.
TIP Do not discard the leaves of the Brussel sprouts that fall off as you cut. The leaves will caramelize and crisp up so nicely!
Step 3 Drizzle one tablespoon of olive oil over the Brussel sprouts and toss to coat.
TIP If you are doing this step while the Brussel sprouts are on the baking sheet, using tongs to toss the Brussel sprouts to avoid a mess. Otherwise, if you are using a bowl, a spoon will work just as well.
Step 4 Sprinkle salt and just a pinch of pepper (if your kids really like pepper, feel free to add more than just a pinch) to the Brussel sprouts and toss again.
Step 5 Spread the Brussel sprouts (including the loose leaves of the Brussel sprouts) out evenly over the rimmed baking sheet or bar pan and roast in the oven until the Brussel sprouts are tender and slightly brown on the tops (but not burnt).
TIP Cooking time is dependent on the size of the Brussel sprouts. Small Brussel sprouts will be done in about sixteen minutes, while large Brussel sprouts can take up to twenty-five minutes to cook. For this reason, be sure check on them every ~8-10 minutes, carefully toss the Brussel sprouts, and leave them in the oven until they are brown on the edges (the loose leaves will appear to be brown and caramelized).
Step 6 Immediately after you take the Brussel sprouts out of the oven, while they are still hot, drizzle the Balsamic vinegar over the sprouts and toss to coat.
questions you may have
Are Brussel Sprouts Good for You?
Yes, they are! Did you know that brussel sprouts have a similar nutrient profile to broccoli? They do!
Can you eat the leaves of Brussel sprouts?
Yes, you absolutely can eat the leaves of Brussel sprouts. The leaves crisp up nicely and are delicious!
Can Brussel sprouts be eaten raw?
Yes, Brussel sprouts can be eaten raw. Raw brussel sprouts are best enjoyed (especially by kids) when shredded and added to a salad.
Easy Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- 1 pound Brussel sprouts trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- ½ tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1 pinch pepper or to taste
- 2 tsp Balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425° Fahrenheit.
- Top Brussel sprouts with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Spread Brussel sprouts out evenly over a rimmed baking sheet or bar pan.
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes (see notes), carefully toss Brussel sprouts, and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes. Brussel sprouts are finished roasting when they are tender, the tops are light brown, and the leaves are crisp (but not burnt).
- Remove Brussel sprouts from the oven and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Toss to coat.
- Serve and enjoy!