This yogurt based homemade and healthy Caesar dressing is a kid favorite! This dressing is THE answer to welcoming Caesar salad into your weekly dinner rotation, whether served as a side or topped with protein to be served as a main meal.
Your kids will want to lick their plates clean - it's that good!
About this healthy Caesar dressing
- It's made from scratch, using easy to find ingredients.
- This is made without eggs, so kids with an egg allergy can enjoy it, too.
- This homemade Caesar salad dressing is much healthier than traditional Caesar salad dressing. Greek yogurt adds protein and calcium, while anchovies and Chia seeds add healthy Omega-3 fats.
- You can use either one anchovy fillet or one half teaspoon of anchovy paste to make this recipe.
- This recipe is so easy that your kids can help make it.
- Greek yogurt A healthy alternative to mayonnaise or soybean oil. Greek yogurt is high in protein. It also contains calcium and vitamin D. I use plain 2% Greek yogurt.
- Lemon juice Added for flavor. Provides vitamin C.
- Worcestershire sauce Is added to give this dressing the flavor you would expect from a Ceasar dressing. There is not an equal substitute.
- Parmesan Cheese Added for flavor and texture.
- Anchovies Believe it or not, anchovies are what give Caesar salad dressing it's 'signature' flavor that we all love. Anchovies contain vitamin D, iron, and Omega-3 fatty acids (known as healthy fats). Use either whole anchovies from a can or anchovy paste.
- Dijon mustard Added for flavor. This can be substituted with mustard powder. I do not suggest using Grey Poupon mustard.
- Garlic Garlic is a must! If you don't have fresh garlic, garlic powder can be used instead.
- Salt & Pepper Added for flavor.
- Chia seeds Added to achieve a thicker consistency. Chia seeds are a good source of Omega-3 fatty acids.
steps to make this kid-favorite Caesar dressing
Here’s a quick overview of the steps to make this healthy dressing. For the full list of ingredients and specific instructions, scroll down to the recipe.
- Blend all ingredients together. That's it!
Notes and tips
- Caesar salad gets its famous flavor from anchovies (shhh, don't tell your kids. Ha!), parmesan cheese, and garlic, so my homemade Caesar salad dressing is made with those.
- To thicken this salad dressing, add add more chia seeds.
- Anchovy fillets (in a can) are less expensive, per serving, than anchovy paste. However, unless you have plans to use up the rest of the anchovies in the can, it ends up wasted. For me, it ends up being less expensive over time to use anchovy paste.
- You can make your own anchovy paste simply by mashing up the anchovies to form a paste-like consistency. This really isn't necessary though, since all of the ingredients will be blended together anyway.
- I do not suggest using grated parmesan cheese (like the grainy/powdery kind used to top spaghetti) unless your kids won't mind the gritty texture.
questions you may have
What is the difference between canned anchovies and anchovy paste? The difference is in the consistency and how they are packaged. The ingredients are the same (anchovies, oil, and salt). Anchovy fillets typically come in a can, while anchovy paste is packaged in a tube.
How much sodium is in a serving? About 70mg per tablespoon. The amount of sodium will vary depending on the type of cheese used, type of Worcestershire sauce (regular vs less-sodium), and the amount of added salt used 'to taste'. If you or your child have been instructed to follow a sodium-restricted diet, either use this dressing sparingly or use a lower sodium salad dressing instead (like my Healthy Strawberry Vinaigrette)
Kid-Favorite Healthy Caesar Dressing (no mayo)
- Hand held emersion blender.
- ½ cup Greek yogurt Low Fat, plain Greek yogurt.
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice Use fresh lemon juice.
- ½ teaspoon chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove small
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon anchovy paste see notes
- 1 Pinch salt
- 1 Pinch pepper one to two pinches of black pepper.
- Using a small blender, immersion blender, or food processor, blend all ingredients together until smooth.